Learn hence, That it is most unnatural to be hardened against those to whom we stand engaged by near relation or natural bonds; the light of nature teaches infidels much better ~William Burkitt's Expository Notes
The People's New Testament Commentary
1Ti 5:8 If any provide not for his own. The support of his relatives and servants is referred to. Children and grandchildren must support their aged parents. Any one who does not provide for his own family, whether it be wife and children, or aged parents, has practically denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever, for even unbelievers do these things.
- My place of greatest service is still at home; Yes, the nest is empty, but someone is always "flying back home" and bring their nestful with them. We are now blessed with 16 grandchildren and one on the way.
- How often have I missed the place that needs my service the most? Sometimes there are little munchkins right under my feet who need me to minister to them and show them God's love, but I forget and think I need to focus somewhere else.
- Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Yes, I can go into all the world and preach the gospel, winning others for the Lord, and I should, but if I neglect those right beside me, I may end up losing a precious soul right out of my own family. I can't think of anything more tragic.
- My actions tell those closest to me that they are either second to all the ministry I now "need to do" or that they are first in my life and are my main ministry. Often I am so focused on preparing Sunday School and Wednesday night lessons that I end up neglecting what/who is right here beside me and needs my influence the most.
- I may care for the needs of others in my ministry, whether they be physical or spiritual, but do I care as much for those who have needs right here at home? Am I diligently teaching the Word of God to precious little souls that are very close to me so that they can find the greatest treasure of all? After all this is the only "thing" I can take with me to eternity - my loved ones! May I seek to win their souls first for how can I say that I am serving God if I am not first of all serving my own?